March 12, 2011 Where does time go?

Where does time go?
I can’t help but think about that this morning. I guess it’s actually afternoon by real time.
When I was little, I couldn’t wait to see my grandparents or my aunt who was a fill in for the grandmother I never knew, or for special events to happen like birthdays.
As I became a little older, I couldn’t wait until I was 16 years old, because I remember thinking I wanted to date and that was the magic number that my parents had said I had to wait for.  The truth is, I actually dated, so to speak, it wasn’t really a date.  The boy’s parents took us and brought us home, but I was only 14 when I started dating.
Finally as I was in college I remember thinking I couldn’t wait until I was out of college so I could get married.  I had waited because my mother had “strongly” suggested that I wait until I was out.  She was probably right but it seemed forever, especially when you are in love!
After being married, I wanted children and my husband wanted to wait!  We waited for 6 years until we started our family!  I thought it would take forever!  It was worth the wait but it wasn’t easy.  Having children is not for the faint of heart.  It has its trials and tribulations but I certainly wouldn’t trade it for the world.  What joy!!! Children are the most precious gifts God could have ever given us to care for. No one ever said it would be easy. Those 18 years with our children seemed to go so slow at first and then they just slipped through my fingers as if the years were water flowing through a stream.
Then as an adult, I wasn’t so worried about having grandchildren but once you have one, you can’t wait for more!  They are such a blessing!  I have four grandsons!  Each is different but amazing!  I could write a book on each!  But we won’t go there.  I’m writing about time.
I have elderly parents.  Time has been a blessing to me.  My parents are soon to be 86 and 88.  They have illnesses but are still living and I thank God every day for them.  They have been married for 65 years.  That in itself is a blessing.  It seems like a long time since I lived at home but when I spend time with them, I am at “home” with them.  It is precious!  Every minute with them is timeless.  I try to hold on to time!
Time is important but I know that I have to use my time wisely now.  It is more important since I am in the latter third or fourth of my life, depending on how long I live.  I want to make it count! Spending time with the ones we love is what really matters in the end! Sorry this was so long. Happy Slicing! :o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 21, 2011 First Day of Summer

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?