March 20, 2011 A Quote on my mind...

"REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. We make a Living by what we get; we make a Life by what we give."

I don’t know who wrote that quote, but it is important to me. 


Now that I am older I see it more clearly than I did earlier, not that I couldn’t have, but when I was younger, I couldn’t wait as I stated in another slice to get older, etc.

Life doesn’t slow down for anyone. We will grow older no matter what, but our maturity depends purely on us.  Being young at heart is one thing, but being childish is another.

As I mature, I begin to see I gain more meaning in life from giving to others than from what I get from others.  Relationships are more significant than material things.

So the second part of the quote that speaks to “making a Living by what we get” is perhaps speaking about our livelihood in order to provide for ourselves.  Or just taking care of ourselves and not worrying about anyone else.

Finally to carve a life out for ourselves that is truly worthwhile and for God, we must give to others in order to complete our life.

Then we are not really alive unless we are helping others. As I tell my students, in order to have a friend, you must first be a friend!  Enjoy being a friend this week!  Happy Slicing! J



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?

June 21, 2011 First Day of Summer