March 4, 2011 Identifying with a middle schooler

Just thinking about being thirteen and what that was like for me. What was that like for you?  It was hard!  Even thought I am obviously older now...much, much older now! :o) I remember being in Junior High. I always wanted to be accepted, to fit in, and to have friends.
I lived on a farm and had chores to do.  Because I was the oldest of five, I took care of my brothers and sisters while my parents were farming.
It's hard to be thirteen.  I remember it well, the day I was thirteen on Friday the thriteenth, I smashed my thumb in the car door, burnt two fingers on the stove, and stepped on my little brother's toy in the living room.  I ended up gashing my foot about 1 1/2 inches on the bottom from the toy cut.
It's hard to be thirteen when you can't drive a car, and have to follow the rules that everyone else sets for you.
As an adult, I found it was really fun in the end.  Looking at the bringht side, I didn't have to have a jo, I spent time with my friends.  I rode my bicycle nine miles to my best  friend's house and we could talk for hours.  I learned to play the organ at church and would practice for fun.  I received a  white kitten named Bunny for my birthday from my friend, Elaine.
Even though it was hard to be thirteen, I feel I grew in mind and sirit that year.  I was clumsy, it is true, but I cared about my grandparents and parents.  I sang in the choir and played clarinet in the band.  Every year we went to the Great Darke County Fair and would ride on the 4-H float, eat cotton cany, walk around the fair with friends, take fair rides and smelled elephant ears.
All in all thirteen was a good year when I look back.  It had its struggles but I learned to care about others.
How did I get there?  Anyway, happy blogging!  See you tomorrow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 21, 2011 First Day of Summer

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?