March 6, 2011 Continuing middle school thoughts...

Since I received some of my comments on my last post, I decided to mention that I too moved locations when I was around the age of thirteen.  After all those things happened to me, my parents planned to move to another school district about seven miles northwest of where I basically had called home from three years of age until March of my seventh grade year. We moved!
I can still remember my last day of school. It was so hard.  I hated saying good bye to my friends.  You may say it was only 7 miles, but it might as well have been 1000 miles because I never saw some of those people again in my life.  We moved across a county line and it was a new school district, new phone, different house, new bus ride, new people to learn to know, and a totally new world.  I moved from a large school district to a small one.
Some say that must have made it easier.  No, not really.  I was used to attending a Junior High where we changed classes...I'm talking about 1962 and this was an up and coming district.  They were pretty advanced.  I moved to a school that put me in a classroom with one teacher in seventh grade and I might change for music and P. E., but that was about it.
All my grades dropped a letter grade or two.  It was a tough time for me.  I remember thinking I don't know if I can do this.  The children were friendly enough.  I came from basically a city school, where I was somewhat of an outcast though, now that I think of it.  I was a farm girl.  Here in the new school, I was in a rural school district.  It was like I went back in time.  Most of the students lived on farms.  That was a switch and I learned to love it there!  The toughest part was breaking into the cliques that the children already had made.  They had been together since kindergarten or first grade.
I felt like a third wheel in middle school.  I ran around with two girls that had been friends for a long time.  They were nice to me, but it still wasn't the best situations.  It took until my freshman or sophomore year of high school until I felt like I really belonged there. Well, enjoy your week!  Happy slicing!  Sorry I missed a day!  I'll share what happened later... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?

March 1, 2012 Was I blown in?