Slice 16 March 16, 2012 The Summer of 2005

Every summer I think I am going to get so much accomplished. The summer of 2005 was just one of those summers. My summer flew by so fast I hardly had time to realize I had a summer.  
Before


I spent the summer cleaning an old cabinet that had belonged to my mother-in-law. (She passed away in 1998.) It is called a Seller Brand Hoosier Cabinet.  When I started I had no idea what it was, but found out more about it after I had striped it.  It was built in 1914.  The paint was white with cracks and some hard varnish on it.  I have no idea how many years it had been painted, but it was very difficult to remove it.
After
There was a surprise waiting for me after I removed the paint from the doors. Under the dark paint was a light wood and it appeared to be nice looking. At the top of the doors, a decorative glass almost caramel color with strands of cream color swirled through it, appeared. I was delighted.


Something inside me would really like to know more about this piece. When was it first purchased? Where did it come from? Who owned it first? Where did they get it? Did someone give it to them? Since his family had lost everything in a fire a year before my husband was born, I doubt that this piece was theirs in the beginning, but I have no way of knowing if it belonged to someone in the family. 


My husband has only one brother living and he is seventeen years older than my husband and he doesn't remember anything about it. My hope is that it came from someone in her family.


It's already special because it belonged to my husband's family but I want it to be an heirloom for our children.  I have the original picture I took of it before I refinished it.  It would be wonderful if it could talk!
Thanks for stopping by to read this. Make a comment. Happy Slicing! :)

Comments

  1. Wow, it's a beautiful cabinet. We have one similar that belonged to my husband's grandmother; she gave it to us before she died & we know that she 'went to housekeeping' with it (her words). I hope you'll be able to find out more, but really you've started the story for your grandchildren, how you received it, from whom, & how much work it was to get it to the beautiful state it is in now. Great to hear about! (you should show the picture of the original state).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful cabinet. That was quite a challenge to get it refinished, but it will be a beautiful piece to pass along. Let it tell the story it now has.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! :)

Popular posts from this blog

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?

June 21, 2011 First Day of Summer