Slice 17 March 18, 2012 Valentine's Day

I have many memories of Valentine's Day.  Some good and some not so good. As a child I really looked forward to the day when my mother and I would take the list of my classmates and make Valentine's for them. There were times that we bought some, but making them was so much fun.
     We always made a "pouch" for our Valentine's in school. A piece of construction paper was folded over or a folder was given to us. We would decorate it any way we wanted. I usually used red and pink construction paper and white dollies.
     It was always so wonderful to receive a valentine from all my friends and "the boys"! Even though we gave to everyone, I felt like the boy picked one just for me.
     The hardest time was when I was in Junior High. Seventh Grade is really where it started. I liked a particular boy whose name was Allen.  I know he knew who I was, but I don't think he liked me as much as I liked him.
    At the age of twelve, I felt like I was an adult. The movie theaters charged adult prices if you were twelve, so..., I must be an adult!  Regardless, my pride got in the way. I didn't receive a valentine from Allen. I was crushed.
     It was times like these that made me feel so insecure. What was it? Was I pretty enough? Was my nose too big? Did my "Eve's apple" show too much? Did I have too many pimples on my face? That feeling made me want to crawl in a hole and stay there.
     Of course then high school came and things started looking up. I didn't always have the boy friend I wanted, but I had my share of suitors. I received valentine cards, candy and assorted things, but this year my husband has topped anything he or anyone has ever done!
     My husband totally surprised me. Feb. 2012 I woke up and walked into my bathroom and on the mirror were hearts with memorable dates when we started dating up to the time we were engaged. Then when I went to our quest bathroom where I fix my hair, there were more hearts with other special dates.
    He fixed me breakfast, he does this every morning-I know I'm lucky, so that's no surprise, but when I came out to the table, while he played "Cherish" by the Association ,  there was a single red rose Ina clear glass vase, a musical card which played ," You Send Me", and a "Jared's Box" with a pretty white bow. It turned out to be a real heart shaped ruby necklace. The card was signed with a quote, "May your day be filled with songs and flowers! His usual Valentine's gift was to send me flowers at school so I figured this was it! I was very excited to wear the necklace and share the events at school.  I thanked him with a hug and a kiss and off I went.
     Never thinking any more about it, I was working in my classroom - we had a two hour delay because of ice, so it was well before the students would be in the building.  As I sat at my computer the loud speaker announced that the following song was being played for me from my valentine. Which I knew was my husband because this was the song he plays for me on every Friday, since Feb. 2011.  it was "Next To You" by Justin Bieber.  That was the second big surprise after all the other things and the ruby necklace.
     I contemplated walking to the office to see what was going on. I had to giggle to myself. Actually I was a little embarrassed so I had not left the room but decided to leave the room and find out what was happening in the office as the song continued. I no sooner stepped out the door and here came a line of staff members, each carrying a different color carnation with a picture or saying attached. They began handing them to me.  It was a constant stream of people walking in and out of the office, I can see it from my door, and then down to me.   They were all smiling, like the cat that swallowed the canary!
     He got me!  Third big surprise! I had no idea he was going to do this.  In the end I had 25 carnations. I had a pitcher from my classroom and put water in it to showcase all the flowers. Actually two students brought the last 2 carnations to when they came to class first block. It was truly a memorable moment, my day was “filled with songs and flowers!”  Happy Slicing! :)

Comments

  1. Holy cow! What a day filled with love! You are one lucky lady. I need to share this with my husband, he's not so overt with his gifts. Thanks for letting me have a glimpse of a romantic man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to share your comment with my husband. I know he will enjoy this! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a special Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was special, thanks for coming by and commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Sue, He went over the top! What a wonderful day for you...priceless. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!!! Betsy wants to know what he will do for an encore! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! :)

Popular posts from this blog

June 21, 2011 First Day of Summer

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?