Sunday, September 8, 2013

Just had the opportunity to entertain my mother for the first time in several years.  The first time since my dad passed away. This was also special because today would have been my mother's sister's 100th birthday. Our Aunt Mabel lived to be 60 years old. She died of cancer back in 1973 around Christmas time. I'm the oldest of five children and she was like a second mother to us. As my mother's only sister, she doted on us and spent much of her time in the summer with us. A first grade teacher for many years, Aunt Mabel influenced us as well. Four of the five of us became teachers. She never knew all of this but perhaps she knows. I look forward to seeing her someday. We spent last evening watching a PowerPoint and reminiscing about the times we spent with her and watching videos too. She would have loved being there with us. This morning my sisters along with my husband sang at church with me during our Worship service. My mother seem to soak it all in. She said later that she thought we were singing for our aunt. It was a special moment. Of course in all the excitement I forgot to mention my aunt when I introduced my siblings. It just gets too much sometimes.It felt so good to sing together. It has been years since we sang together and we sang two weeks ago at my home church and now at my church. It was wonderful to have this chance. Life gives us opportunities that we just must take.  In memory of Aunt Mabel....Happy 100th Birthday Aunt Mabel! Thanks for reading. Hope you have a wonderful week!  Happy Slicing! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOLC 2012: 6 of 31 March 6, 2012 Sink or Swim?

March 1, 2012 Was I blown in?